Tuesday, October 04, 2005
What's in a name ?
After 19 years of getting into fights over his name and hearing it mispronounced, Shia LaBeouf can't believe celebrities are still coming up with weird names for their kids. LaBeouf says not only was he teased because of the sound of his name, he says his full name means "thank God for beef" and "who wants to be named that?"

Asked what he would say to parents planning to give their kids strange names, LaBeouf says "name your kid Billy and Timmy! What is the problem with that?"

Obviously, Nicolas Cage doesn't agree with LaBeouf. Cage just named his son 'Kal-el' after the name Superman was given when he was born on Krypton.

I personally feel that 'Kal-el' is quite a nice name....but then would I give the same to my kid....hmmmmmm, I don't think so. However I do feel that it's time that we think outside the box and go ahead with different and unique names. I am so sick of hearing the same old 'ghasa-pita' names.

The important aspect according to me what should be looked at is the 'meaning' of the name and to a certain extent how it sounds when 'pronounced'...afterall you don't want your kid to be embarrassed thru out their lives and blaming you for being the cause.

I remember what a pain the tosshie it was, when we were looking for names during my sister inlaw's pregnency. Endless hours spent reading name books and searching the internet to find the 'perfect name'. It was even more painful because we had decided that we would go for 'out-of-the-ordinary name', something that was not very common.

Finally after weeks of backaches and research, we found the perfect name for my nephew. We named him 'Krtin', in Sanskrit it has 13 different meanings such as blessed, satisfied, OM.

Three years later the same process was repeated, only difference this time was we looking at girl names for my 'niece'. This time we went in for a greek name and named her 'Arianna' which means 'holy'.
posted at 10/04/2005 05:57:00 PM | comments (2) | permalink

2 comments:

  1. You are right . I was reminded of Gay Lord focker of meet the parents and meet the fockers.
    Nice topic and wll written. Enjoyed reading it
     — Anonymous ASH, at 10/04/2005 07:00:00 PM 

  2. nice name, krtin... but do u pronounce it as kritin or krutin? how do u call him?
     — Blogger Leela, at 6/24/2010 03:37:00 PM 

Post a Comment

Just Me
Previous Posts
Monthly Archives
My Blogs
I Owe It to
I Simply Love
Added Features




Google
Web To Each Its Own !







 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com



Get Firefox!

 Blog Top Sites



Join the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign
Join the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!